12 Kasım 2015 Perşembe

Making Up For Lost Time

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 11 November 2015)


'Deserter' Özdemir (center) could be on the front lines soon.

Prof. Dr. Coşkun Özdemir (86), the founder and head of the
Turkish Muscle Diseases Association, went to Artvin the day
before yesterday and related the following incident: "I received
an invitation to speak about the anniversary of Atatürk's death.
I was staying at the teachers' house when, at 0430 in the morning,
there was banging on my door. An unnerving and unexpected
occurrance for sure."

"When I opened the door there were two big policemen there,
so I thought there had been some kind of mistake. But they
said 'yes, ıt's you. The ID number matches.'  On the paper they
had me sign it said 'the person sought by the police as an army
deserter has been seized.'  And it was me that they had captured!"

"First, I had a good laugh. Then I said 'how could such an outrage
happen?'"  The police, though, weren't surprised at all. They told
me to go to the military office in Bakırköy, Istanbul, and ask them
about it."

"I graduated in 1952 and then went into the military in the early
days of 1953. I served as a doctor for 18 months in the health unit
of the 16th Infantry Regiment of the 33rd Division at Çatalca. I
still remember my serial number even though 61 years have passed.
I still can't understand how such a mistake could happen. It's comical.
Neither I nor anyone else can understand how it happened. Let's see
what the military office has to say when I go there. Since 1950 I've
been an adversary. They keep trying to deprive us of our association
building. Every year I get a notice to vacate our building in Yeşilköy,
Istanbul."


Image result for artvin haritası
                  Artvin province

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
türkçe links to original Turkish article

(HaberTürk Newspaper, 11 November 2015)

 Image result for kilimcigöldelioğlu dokuz eylül
             From mopper to doctor.

Ufuk Kilimcigöldelioğlu was forced to leave the medical school
at Dokuz Eylül University in Izmir 27 years ago because of
financial difficulties, the death of his mother and his abandonement
by his alcoholic father.  Nevertheless, he has never given up on his
childhood dream.

These days Kilimcigöldelioğlu works as a janitor at Izmir Suat
Seren Chest Hospital but when a pardon was extended to former
students, Kilimcigöldelioğlu returned to finish school with the
encouragement of the hospital administration and his family.

He gets up early in the morning and goes to classes. Then in the
evening he mops the floors at the hospital. His co-workers call
him 'doctor' anymore.  Kilimcigöldelioğlu admitted that "ıt's tough
to manage work and school, especially the mandatory subjects. But
I'll get it done. I have two years more. Once I finish school I'll be
a doctor and I want to start working as one right away."

Image result for izmir haritası
              Izmir province

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder